Well, after digging out my Cherokee Alphabet sampler, I decided that I want to finish it this year. So far, I've managed to finish the "e" row and I have started on the "a" row, which is going to be the most complicated since several of the "a" letters have multiple possibilities (as can be seen already with "na," "hna," and "nah").
Working on this piece makes me a bit wistful. For most of my life, the "Indian side" was never talked about, because my great-grandfather was "born on the wrong side of the blanket." My grandmother, to this day, will not talk about it. It was only after some sleuthing that I managed to find the name of (and documentation proving) my great-grandfather's birth father, and once I was able to do that, I could enroll in the tribe. I'm still the only member of my family enrolled, and it makes me kind of sad. There's a history that I know little about, and I can only learn so much from books.
No comments:
Post a Comment